Welcome to the Hunger Games read-along! Beginning July 1st, 2010, we will be reading and chatting about one chapter a day of both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins in anticipation of the release of Mockingjay on August 24th.

In the unlikely event that this is your first read of these amazing books, welcome! And more importantly, beware of spoilers! There will be spoilers.







Friday, July 23, 2010

I'm Going to District 12!

So tomorrow morning, I'll be leaving for District 12, Appalachia, for vacation (which has been in the works for a very long time.  Even I'm not that obsessed) and I've been doing a bit of reading up.  One interesting note from my guidebook says that 75% of all known medicinal plants grow within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  How handy for Katniss's mother!  And another book told me that hunting, foraging, and gathering has fed the people of the region for as long as there have been people in the region.  The same book noted, also, that squirrels are good eating in stews, and so are opossum.  Greasy Sae and Peeta's dad seem to be on to something!  I'm going to try to find some "local delicacies" while I'm there.  Maybe we'll find who makes Haymitch's moonshine, since we'll be so nearby (hmm, is this a branding opportunity?  Haymitch's Hooch!).  Great research, SC!

And so, while I'm away you will have a substitute blogger.  Please welcome the Narwhal,  er, the Narwhal who promises to "have a pretty different style" than I have.  He's gonna shake things up a bit, no doubt.  And if he's not careful, he's gonna "different" himself right into a job.

See you all on the 1st!  Or the 2nd, pending computer access.

2 comments:

  1. Haymitch's Hooch is genius. You need to make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful trip, Heather! Was going to give you some Appalachian classics to listen to in your drive down, but after I saw you Thursday, I found out that I won tix to Shakespeare in the Park that same night! Kym and I had to pick up our tickets before 7, show was at 8, and we didn't get home until after midnight. Let us know what music they're playing down south these days when you're back in the northeast! <3

    ReplyDelete