Welcome to the Hunger Games read-along! Beginning July 1st, 2010, we will be reading and chatting about one chapter a day of both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins in anticipation of the release of Mockingjay on August 24th.

In the unlikely event that this is your first read of these amazing books, welcome! And more importantly, beware of spoilers! There will be spoilers.







Monday, July 5, 2010

Movies! Special Bonus Extra! Happy Fun Time!

Because re-reading this book keeps reminding me that this will be a feature film pretty soon (slated for 2011, which is way too far off), I give to you the IMDbPro (that's right, I signed up for the free trial to bring you this news) plot summary!


Plot Summary
In a not-too-distant future, the United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, the son of the town baker who seems to have all the fighting skills of a lump of bread dough, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives.
Summary written by Suzanne Collins

Yowza!  Dis to Peeta!  And why not all of North America, like the books? So, who has casting ideas?  I know we haven't really gotten to Caesar Flickerman yet, but I'd LOVE for him to be played by Bill Murray.  And I've heard some interweb rumors of Kristin Chenowith as Effie Trinket.  Who do you see as Katniss?  Peeta?  Rue?  I hope they stick really closely to the physical descriptions.  I'm anal that way, and will in all probability hate the movie, but a girl can hope, right?  Fantasy casting choices are good, too (like a teeny Dakota Fanning as Prim, yes?)  OMG, who will play Haymitch!?  Is it too much to ask to get Gary Oldman?  Or Paul Giamatti?  He'd be perfection.  Oh, and some fangirls seem to want Lucas Till (known for his work kissing Miley Cyrus, and in such film classics as Pee Shy) as Peeta.  I can see it.

As we progress and encounter new characters, I'd love to hear your ideas of who should play them! And since I've abused IMDbPro and have probably lost my privileges after this, I may be asking one of you to join up at the end of August to see if they have any casting updates.  If I don't have volunteers, I'll just draw names... 

No comments:

Post a Comment